Sunday 27 July 2008

When I first wept in prayer

A friend requested me to write something "enlightening" today. Here it is.


I was taught how to pray when I was 9 years old. My younger sister was also taught at that time. It was my mom and my dad who taught us.
“Thank You Lord Jesus for [something that happened in the day].
Thank You Lord Jesus for [2nd thing that happened that I could recall].
Thank You Lord Jesus…”
You get the picture.

It was at night, just before bedtime. We would sit on mom and dad’s bed, holding our hands together. We closed our eyes. My parents would start the prayer.

I figured that prayer was directed to God. It was just like we’re taught in Sunday school. Eyes closed, hands locked, to reduce distraction. I learned the “script” off my parents. I had the “feel” of what to mention when we pray. But did I really mean what I said?

On one of those nights, Daddy had just come home from “outstation”. I recall that he traveled to Sandakan, Tawau, Lahad Datu and other places quite often at that time. Nights without Daddy around were quite common.

That night, when it was my turn to pray, I began, “Thank You Lord Jesus for taking Daddy safely home from outstation.” In the middle of that sentence, I cried. I was sobbing. Tears rolled down my cheek. I didn’t know why I was crying. I continued and finished up praying while weeping.

I still don’t know exactly why I cried at that time. I could only give possibilities. Crying means that something touched us deep inside. Humans deeply moved. Overflowing emotions. “It touched my heart.” Came across this before?

“And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” (Mark 12:30)

I quote this verse as it tells us that all our human dimensions – emotional, spiritual, mental, and physical – should be submitted to God. To worship God means that all our human aspects respond to Him, in spirit and in truth. Crying is a truly human response. Though it’s not the only way to respond, it is one of our unintentional responses to the things that happen to us.

Occasionally, I still cry when I pray. Till today.

Mom, Dad, thank you for teaching me how to talk with God.

No comments: