Wednesday 21 April 2010

Family Tree Project

A collection of my posts on ChristianForums.com.


9th May 2005, 07:15 AM
Anyone ever tried to map out the entire Bible genealogy from Genesis to...to wherever it goes? So far, I've connected the family line in Matthew and Luke (assuming the ancestry line provided in Luke describes Mary's family).

Now, i have it written on pieces of lined A3 paper stuck together (the ones I take off unused note books).

It connects 700+ individuals...(and MANY with the same names...like Abimelech), and is 75 generations long from Adam to Jesus through Mary's line (about 62 through Joseph).
Some problems I've encountered:
1. Benjamin's children - They're different in Genesis, Numbers, and Chronicles. My way of mapping this is by providing different trees according to the sources Also happens with other persons's descendants, but I think I can get over it.

2. Differing Spellings - Well, I guess they're common even today, right? Generally, I take the ones listed in the book of Chronicles.

3. Who's who? - Even with not-so-often-recurring names like Asaph the musician. How many "Asaph"s were there? Only one I presume, the one serving during King David's time.

4. Disconnected lines - Can't get this connected to the main line based solely on the Bible, I think. Like the descendants of Seir (in Genesis/Chronicles), Saul, etc. It's just like a waste seeing their *quite elaborate* family not being a branch of the main tree.
Which brings me to the rock-bottom question: Why venture on this task in the first place?

Well, I've always been fascinated by the comprehensive lists the Bible has...so I wonder what it would be if it's translated into graphical information. Interesting. And potentially an aid for teaching others, too...

13th May 2005, 03:18 PM
What began as a childhood interest (11-year olds and their--"creative" stuff) continued for some years as I began to do it more comprehensively. But I do realize human limitations, errors, linguistic challenges...etc.

30th May 2005, 06:07 AM
This genealogical record took me the time from Dec 03 until mid 04 (I took a lot of breaks while undertaking this task...finally finishing the list without realising it) As I look at it now, I still need to add references and alternate list based on different texts of the Bible (eg: Septuagint records Cainan, a descendant of Shem, but the Hebrew does not.)


*Deep breath* It's like fresh air filling me to total lung capacity. Oh, how pumped I am to set to work like that again -- the burning passion of curiosity!


3 comments:

John Wee said...

Benjamin's childrens are different?


Benjamin's descendants tend to take a change, especially after all of the males of that family line have been wiped out during the book of judges, hence the possible seeming discrepancy.

John Wee said...

Oh but then again your taking it from the pentitudes. Hmmmm...

Creski Malcolm said...

I think there are 3 records of Benjamin's male descendants. 1-Genesis 46. 2-Numbers 26. 3-1 Chronicles 7. It's possible that the Judges 20 event happened in between.