Saturday 24 April 2010

To impress or express?

With thanks to John (PJ).

I guess every now and then we need an unloading of the mental mass that we're carrying in our minds - both the pleasant and not-so-pleasant.


If there's any phrase that really struck me today, then it's "Dance is not to impress; it's to express". Wow! That's one thing I've longed to hear for ages! Just this time last year, I was contemplating my constant desire to show-off. Not just the usual show-off after getting H1's all the way in all mid-sems and assignments, but the greater realm of showing off to anyone and almost everyone.
  • Like showing off a really big bargain I had.
  • Or a really cool incident that happened (including re-enacting the scene, dialogue and emotions).
  • Or simply showing off how much I know that people like showing off anyway.
  • Wait up, the worst is to come.
The worst? Showing off a girl. My girl. But I never had one, did I? What does this mean?!

Meaning my desire was off-track. I wanted her just so I could show her off. Dr House said that it's like having a nice piece of decoration in the lobby. A pretty girl is really something - er, someone - to show off. Especially if she's got a nice figure too. And captivating eyes that every other guy will want to look at. I thought of her as an Anime character who happens to be in the real world, almost too good to be true. I imagined if she was mine...

*Time for thinking*

Was I driven only by a desire to impress, without anything meaningful to express? People talk a lot about wearing a mask that hides our true self, and I think I have at least 5 of such masks worn on top of each other. Sometimes it's down to 1 (or 0 when I'm really vulnerable), but most other times I have more worn outside. Wearing those masks results in 2 things. 1: People will think you're who you act/present as (e.g. people will think you're a clown if you wear a clown face mask). 2: You will tend to live according to 1. And that takes a lot of energy especially when it's a superficial, faked, dramatised mask that's designed only to impress. *Sigh*

John Bevere talked about our perceived image (how we view ourselves), projected image (how we want others to view us) and actual image (how our Creator sees us). A disconnect between these 3 images of a person will result in frustration and failure in life. "Failure" as in not making the mark which we're meant to reach. And it's not hard to realise that pride is the prime factor that gets in the way of us unmasking ourselves to reveal who's actually in there. What's a bit harder to realise is the pride that's already in us. My pride will say, "Of course I'm not proud. What are you talking about? It must be some other people." Ahah, gotcha!

Ooh, you know what else am I noticing in me now? Little pride-lings, potentially turning into a big ugly bug infecting me:
  • my discipline in getting up before 9am today (a Saturday)
  • my charitability in giving the whole day to make and give cupcakes to the public
  • my ability to produce a song on-the-go
  • my talent in playing guitar and singing along
  • my fitness to do a handstand
  • my perseverance to jog around a park even though it's dark
  • my skills in writing my thoughts out -.-
Geez, just look at how many times the word "my" appears. It's not really yours to start with, Cres, so why treat it like it is? And the purpose of all those is to build up the people around you, not for you to boast.

If I can reduce this entire piece into 1 line, it'll be this:
Just express yourself. If people are impressed, then that's a result of it. But that shouldn't be your main motive.

2 comments:

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

gd post.
i share ur early opinion in getting a gd-looking partner just for the urge 2 show off. haha
n i lik ur say on d masks ppl wear too. hehe