Tuesday 1 September 2009

What kind of relationship...

...are you in?
e.g.
1x 2hrs/wk
2x 2hrs/wk
3x, 4x, 5x

---Long-form---
That's my shorthand way of asking: How much does your life and his/hers overlap? Take a look at the numbers above again. How much time do you spend together? One of our neuroscience lecturers recently spoke about "The Social Brain" (CSGD 6.2), where he posed the question: What does our big brain do?

Our lecture notes read:
  • Social "gossip"
  • Maintain families, act in society
  • Organise into groups - esp. inter-group trade for mutual advantage
I wanna talk about the 2nd one. I've been thinking a lot about relationships lately, and started asking some questions like, How much time and energy am I willing to spend with her? What about her, how willing is she? What are we going to talk about? I know that we'll basically talk about almost everything, but what are the most important things we are going to share? Because on this side of life, time is not infinite.

I've been observing people in intimate relationships as well; boyfriends and girlfriends, fiancé and fiancée, husband and wife, father and mother. What defines a relationship? It's gotta be more than just what you do on the outside, no? Like, Mom and I held hands - expression of intimacy - as we walked around the park last summer. Guess what, even if we didn't hold hands, we're still mother and child! It's not just the physical act!

Back to me and her. Where are we heading? What is it in me that she brings out to fruition (and also in her), that couldn't be so without either one of us? In essence, what part of me does she complete, and what part of her do I complete?

Symbol Credits: dragonartz.wordpress.com

No comments: