Friday 3 December 2010

In the not-so-distant future

3 years down, 3 to go.

It's actually hard to believe that I'll graduate in Medicine, Surgery and Medical Science in 3 years' time. Whenever people ask me, "Which year are you in?", the next question is always "So how long is the course?" And they get a shock when I tell them that it's six years. Some think that the 6th year is the internship year where you're already working as a fresh graduate - but no, that's the 7th year.

Even though 3 years is equal to the full length of a university degree (like Commerce, Science, Arts, etc) - meaning it's still a long way before me - I tend to see it as something that I've been through. Three years down, 3 to go. I've been in uni for 3 years, so another 3 years wouldn't hurt as much, because I've lived through it. But deep down I know it's going to be very different - moving to a northern suburb called Epping, having a 9-5 schedule Mondays to Fridays, talking with patients to learn both the characteristics of the disease and of the individual suffering from it, etc. I might move again to another suburb in 5th and 6th year, depending on placements. But that will come in its own time.

I know for sure that it will be a time of exciting adventure. A wild dream of a child who grew up in Kota Kinabalu, was educated in a regular daily boy's high school, played role-playing games like Diablo and Ragnarok Online... is unfolding into reality.

God, this is awesome.

Picture credit: teddymill.co.uk

No comments: