Thursday 1 July 2010

Diligence is the way

Don't stop doing what is right
The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; but the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.
Proverbs 13:4
Last night, before sleeping, I planned to try out my Early Bird Epping journey today.

Let me tell you how this morning went (after 3.75 hours of sleep):
5.50am - woken up my 5th alarm snooze (first was 5.30am)
5.54am - snooze again
5.58am - yet another snooze
6.02am - I couldn't explain why, but I really felt like jumping out of bed - and I did!

6.18am - reached Melb Central station, platform 2 (got both my Early Bird and 2hr zone 1+2 tickets)
6.21am - on board train to Epping; surprised to meet Melvin the Intern
7.00am - reached Epping station (yay, free ride!)
Met other interns too: Jess, Vincent, Jason, etc. Followed them for the surgical ward round. One patient's temperature was reportedly 39°C. Another asked for an Arabic interpreter.

Then went to theatre where a colon resection was (halfway) being done. Scrubbed in for the next one which was a total thyroidectomy. Can't express my thanks enough to Dr Chek and Mr Gya.

That battle against my lazy side which only idles around is won. And I cherish it.
Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.
James 4:17
If I already know that God wants me to serve as a doctor, then why am I not preparing myself as best as I could? If I were to stay in my present house and commute 1 hour (one-way) everyday, then why not try it out now? See whether it's realistically possible. And not just empty talk. My other objective which is to revise all lectures from Semester 1-5 shall be executed. To the full.
Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before unknown men.
Proverbs 22:29
Yes. You and I are standing not just before 'kings' (as labelled by society), but before The King of Kings! How awesome is that?!

Earlier this year, this King spoke to me, saying: The balance is 50-50. But what was my question? I was asking where I should draw the line, e.g. when does serving become too much serving, studying becomes too much studying, enjoying becomes too much enjoying, etc.

My balance now is, sadly, 50-0. 50% resting, and the rest is gone. And I know that by increasing my diligence by working a bit harder, I will attain better balance in life, and therefore produce more fruit that lasts.

No comments: