Thursday 15 January 2009

My 23rd job application

With one month of summer vacation to go...

I think I spent too much time thinking whether to make the application or not. Just like the house applications that I'm doing. But you know what I've realized? I learned it from my phone, so I'll call it the lesson of the phone.
When my phone rings, the caller is normally predictable. Or the SMS-er. Because most often, it's someone I have just called or messaged moments earlier. Sometimes it's a day earlier. But calls don't just come suddenly without any reason.
Now you know what has struck me about this whole applying-and-waiting deal? You do not have because you do not ask. Pretty elegant, eh? Now I'm suddenly reminded of a Malay proverb: yang pipih tak datang melayang, yang bulat tak datang bergolek. But my memory might have failed me and I might be misquoting it.
That striking quotation doesn't end there. It continues: You ask and you do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

Oh, how I hope that I do not ask amiss!

No comments: