Thursday 4 March 2010

Longing for Something

How I miss thee, Melbourne!
Haven't you ever felt that something was missing when you were away from this beautiful city?

Perhaps I had too many idle days in Kg Taginambur that I actually thought studying was fun. Think about that. It actually can happen. You know, when you have absolutely nothing else to do, you'd rather be studying.

I miss the productive moments. Even in a rather mundane day, as routine and uneventful as it may seem, the productivity level looks very high compared to my developing hometown. Five hours in a lab could mean 1 research question being explored and solved - e.g. by doing some Western blotting experiments - while the same number of hours back home might never yield the same amount of new knowledge gained here.

Maybe that's the difference between a first-world, developed country and a third-world, developing one.

But my emphasis is not judgement ("Melbourne is better than KK").

KK means a lot to me, and I might end up living and settling down there one day. It's just that, at present, I can't contain this strange combined feeling of excitement and gratefulness for me to be where I am.

Hey Melbourne, I'm so happy to be here. And you know what, even during the days when I don't emotively feel excited, I'll at least have an attitude of excitement (don't think that's impossible).

I'm here to learn as much as I can before I enter the medical field. Gosh, I'm actually already in. It's just that I'm not a paid worker yet, so I'm not yet tied to the occupational obligations that doctors are.

Back when I was 9 or 10, I wrote down "Scientist" as one of my ambitions.

A scientist discovers new stuff. Discovery's coming. Oh yeah.

Come on, Melbourne, show me the substance of those prestige and university rankings!

Picture credit: wehi.edu.au

2 comments:

Aikul said...

My dearest Boy In Christ,

Praise God for opening your way to Melbourne Uni. That Uni is one of the most prestigious one in the world. Remember you are there to fulfill God's purpose. Always seek and trust God and he will be always there for you. Read Joshua 1:7

God Bless you always

Love MOM

Aikul said...

Remember that our strength is in Jesus. God is our pillar in our entire life.