Sunday 7 March 2010

Warning

Sometimes it just happens without warning. Other times, it is the actual warning itself.
Remember Jonah who tried to run away from his divine calling of being sent to Ninevah? That great city has no other access to the message of salvation.
Aren't we like Jonah at times? For me, I've got my own "Ninevah". Yet last year I recall a time when I considered not visiting this Ninevah as much as I used to. Instead I desired to hang out somewhere else.

Why? Because I could get something out of it (the other place). Ninevah offers me nothing. Can't get a mate for me, or Mum will kill me for marrying/dating 'foreigners' (a certain type of them). Heh, I was thinking too much about my own comfort.

Ninevah was a place of a certain living standard, and it's not astronomical. But the other place was. I mean, you can spend as much silver and gold as you wanted, and no-one would stop you. In Ninevah almost everyone is rationed, so you take care of your expenses. Which was a good thing to do, right?

But I was thinking of a second job to supplement my income (1st job is a disciple to a health consultant...which isn't an actual job). You know why? I was thinking of the fine clothes I could wear. The fine food I could dine on. The fine places I could visit. The fine this-and-that. Especially when I could get myself a mate in the process. Oooh, romantic! There's nothing wrong with that taken by itself, but if you look at my personal context, then it means serious trouble. I was deviating away from Ninevah.

Big Boss has said to me: This is the way, walk in it. I take it to heart, especially this year. He says, do not stray from it, either to the left or the right.

That was the warning, and I better take heed.

No comments: