Friday 14 August 2009

Unique

Stop the stopper
What's your purpose in life? Your specific assignment? Your grace, a strength so intense that you can't afford to keep it to yourself? What does your future hold?

I like thinking about my future. However, I've realised just how much of my decisions are affected by thoughts like: You gotta be unique/special/one-of-a-kind. You gotta do what no-one else has done before.

Most of the time, it's been a stopper to me. Because just when I find something fun and interesting, e.g. making plasticine models of dinosaurs, I'd be faced with counter thoughts: What's so great about it? Anyone can do it. It doesn't make you special. You can't even make money with that. Same thing with learning neuroscience, diagnosing diseases, singing new tunes, trying new dance moves, counseling close friends, among others.

I needed a breakthrough thought, something to break negative, paralysing thoughts. And this one, heaven-inspired, made my day:

You're already unique, without even trying.

p/s:
Neuroanatomical terms: Lateral geniculate nucleus, optic nerve - optic chiasm - optic radiation, saccule & utricle, ampulla & macula, locus coeruleus, red nucleus, periaqueductal grey matter, petrous part of the temporal bone.

1 comment:

Peta 'N' Ming said...

OMG!!! Neuroanatomy is the TOUGHEST among all the other anatomiesss...
Guess what.. I studied so hard for ventricles in the brain and diencephalon and guess what? None of it came out ... ughh.. pissed me off.
But oculomotor nerve came out. Thank God I studied.
Trigeminal nerve, facial nerve's important to us.
Oh and blood supply to brain.
We didn't learn much about the ear.
The basal ganglias and all that didn't come out. Oh.. the cerebrum and Brodmann's area's. Lol.. Am I just giving too much info? xD.
Well, I loved studying all those.

I think I loved oral biology the most. I dunno.
Physiology is actually very interesting. But there were TOOOOO many to study on. Guess my laziness got the best of me. Anyways, study hard =)