Tuesday 7 July 2009

Never Stop

...being obedient to what is right.

Title adapted from my last-exam-day post. I knew there was something there that would be a supply for my holiday season.

Thing is, I've had this thought of "slowing down" or "chilling" ever since holiday began about 2.5 weeks ago. Yes, I indeed have gone full-blast (or close) in the final weeks of semester. And even during the start and middle of semester, there were many occasions when I couldn't afford to slack even a bit. You know, when every hour of the day counts?

Discipline. That's one of the biggest lessons I've learned during summer before uni started. Example: house-hunting. You've gotta concentrate on advertised houses that are available, and then find out when are they open for inspection. And be there during the actual inspection itself. There were times when I had more than one inspection in one day. The 30-plus degree heat should not be an excuse.

So what do I mean by "slowing down" or "chilling"? Some ideas:
  • Bringing my stress levels down a bit
  • Letting go of the accelerator (Kasi lepas minyak / Not pushing myself)
  • Staying in bed a bit longer than usual (which, as you may realise, ends up getting longer and longer each day)
  • Thinking lazy, talking lazy, being lazy
OK, I think it does indeed have its place in life; we can't live on 19,000 RPM at all times! But you know what I've realised? Living at 1,000 RPM forever is also meaningless. It's even worse if you kill the engine (RPM=0)! The extremes don't make for a happy, fulfilling life (yes, I'm saying balance is best).

We humans have our time, our resources, our energy, our passions, our talents--all at our command, waiting to be sown.

Sowing nothing → reaping nothing. There's another word for it: wasting.

As I look into my holiday supply bag, I got an energy bar named 'Never Stop'. It reminds me that I should keep planning my days, sticking to schedules, and sometimes, especially when I don't feel like it, just push the accelerator a bit harder. O Counselor, lead me!

No comments: