Sunday 19 July 2009

Planning my years?

Thought about it, but never really wrote much about it.

Was just talking with a friend about my "timeline" of studying/working while walking back home just now. Also celebrated another friend's 20th birthday for dinner. Makes me think a bit about my time here on earth.

Found in an Excel spreadsheet in my laptop, written 2 years ago:

17...finish SPM
18
...start IB
19
.........|
20
...finish IB
21
...start Medic, 1st year
22
...2nd year
23
...3rd year
24
...4th year.....Publish book?
25
...5th year
26
...6th year
27
...finish Medic, Housemanship 1
28
...Housemanship 2.....KAHWIN
29
...Medic officer
30
...Start Masters?
31
...........|
32
...........|
33
...Finish Masters? Some FRCS
34
...Some FRCS
35
...Some FRCS
36
37
38
39
40
As you can see, I've got some blanks and "?" there. People say we gotta have flexibility. But the funny thing is what I planned to do when I'm 28. Why 28? Well, for one thing it makes sense, because I plan to get married after (not before) graduating from Med. Of course it can be 29, 30 or after that too. But I just happened to like 28 because 28 = 4 x 7. And I like 7. =)

But honestly, it's not like I'm holding onto this like some unbreakable rule book. The Masters and FRCS are not even certain...so why do I even have it there? I guess it's copycat-ing other doctors who normally have their names as: Dr. Ikserc Mloclam, MBBS/BMedSc, MS, FRCS. Hahah. I'd actually like to have some nice letters behind my name, but if you ask me why, I don't really know. Actually I'm starting to question my own motive now. Hmmm, if I can get the longest letters behind my name and still can't save a life, what good is it?

The only sure thing is that I'm still in undergraduate medicine, now in 2nd half of 2nd year. I'm almost certain that I'll finish the whole 6 years. If not, I might stop at year 3-and-a-half (Sem 7), that's after my Parkinson's research is done. And that's only if The Big Boss tells me to stop.

Now to reality mode, it's gonna be back-to-school for me tomorrow. Can't wait to meet new people in my PBL group!

Picture credit: AlphaMom.com

No comments: