Sunday 7 June 2009

Ex*m

3rd semester ending.

Didn't realise how quickly one semester passes. Back in KMB before starting uni, one of the things I've always pondered was, how on earth would I be able to perform at my best continually semester after semester? I had 4 semesters back then, and by the end of 2nd, I was already slacking a lot. EE, ToK, WorldLit, IA...LoL. I seriously was overwhelmed. In class, I already lost some enthusiasm, and I bet my classmates noticed it.

So here are some of the ways which I've found to be effective in raising my motivation:

1. Have a dream
What we see now always begins with what we didn't see in the past. In other words, have a vision. A goal. A target. An objective. And you know what doesn't work? I wanna be #1. Because there's only one first place, and it's really out of your control! What works better would be: I want at least all credits. Or I wanna get H2B and above for all subjects. Or I wanna score at least 90% for these 3 subjects this sem, and 85% for the other. Then commit to your goal and do your best.

2. You're always getting better
At the very least, you're better today compared to last year. Otherwise what are you working on? What's truly within our control are our thoughts, actions and behaviour. Ourselves. You're leading at least one person: you. So start looking at how far ahead you've progressed. This means so much to me because I've always compared myself to others. I'm designed with specific capabilities (specifications), for a specific purpose, so I should be the best that I can be. Not the best that Einstein can be, because I'm not Einstein.

3. Group study can and does work
One rule: The expectation is that everyone would individually be better. Requirements: discipline, unity, and humility. Discipline means making the effort to prepare for the session, more so for the person facilitating/leading it. Unity means not leaving anyone behind (think: why call it group study?). But perhaps humility is the most important factor. Otherwise it's just an ego-show where people demoralise each other. And that's violating the one rule.

4. Who's your reliance?

A great king said: Lean not on your own understanding. We seriously need to understand how life means nothing unless we know what the Designer made it for. I remember a boy who in Grade 6 always humbly said, "Unto you I rely." I'm not sure about you, but I still am inspired by that voice, and yearn to depend more on that understanding that is far higher than my own.

5. Keep your eyes on The Big Guy
If I can do it on my own, then I need to realise that I'm born for the impossible. And that 'impossible' is not the same for every person. My impossible is not yours. So if I'm trying to fulfil your impossible, I'm not doing the right thing! So how do I find out? Simple. I ask and seek the Author of Life, and fix my eyes there.


Picture credit: gatesofacademe.wordpress.com


Happy SWOT VAC.

All the best for you with exams!

1 comment: