Tuesday 23 June 2009

A hard fight (5)

Part V. CRL Paper 2, 2 hours, 100-MCQ, 25%.
The Boss.
Perhaps because I expected a multiple-choice paper as do-able as last semester's, I found this one to be really difficult. I used all the combat skills I knew, like answering during the reading time, and speeding up at all times, yet still I feel that it's tough. Maybe I didn't have as much sample question drilling as last semester.

Yet there's one question where my last-minute answer switch was really worth it. It was a question on the A-a gradient (Alveolar-arterial PO2).
PaO2=55 mm Hg
PaCO2=28 mm Hg
The formula for
PAO2=150-(PaCO2/0.8) (simplified because it's an MCQ)

PA
O2
=
150-(28/(4/5))
=150-(28/4*5)
=150-35
=115

A-a gradient=
PAO2-PaO2
=115-55
=60

I at first answered 30 because I used 55 instead of 28
for the PaCO2!
That's one of the good memories I had with the paper. Bad memories are numerous. I remember how I kept telling myself, must finish 50 questions in 1 hour! Quick! There were so many clinical/PBL-style questions! It comes with a short passage of the patient's case and follows with about 3 questions. Even the lecture based questions (pharmacology!) were ultra-specific!

Yet I believe that hard times are there to build us up. In the middle of the exam, at about 1 hour plus, I felt so frustrated I just wanted to explode and scream! And I screamed in my soul and spirit - I cried to heaven asking for wisdom from the Ancient of Days. It doesn't change the fact that the paper was a hard one, but it reassured me because I have the Unshakable Foundation.

And to this day I pray that a miracle happens for this paper. God gave me a dream to achieve the highest excellence this year---and that means that it's impossible. Only He can make it happen. I ask for favour over my exam, that He raise my grade, bump it up, miraculously. Though it's an MCQ paper marked by a machine, I pray that God will tell the machine to boost the marks. I want this miracle from God! In Jesus' name I pray! Because PRAYER IS POWERFUL.

Picture credit: thetorchonline.com

p/s: I was in uni south lawn the other day, talking with God. And I sensed that it's another one of those no-turning-back moments in my life. To start with, I think it's almost natural for people to take up stuff, to do something new, whether with a good motive or not. And we talked about my Top Secret Project, the excel spreadsheet in my laptop, and the ungodliness that it has brought into my life. He showed me how information or knowledge on its own is not necessarily good or bad; when applied righteously, it manifests as wisdom. When applied unrighteously, it's a gateway to sin, disobedience and rebellion. So I decided to delete this piece of information. I choose to not have access to it. Instead I choose full trust and obedience to The One and Only, because I look only unto Him - my vision fixed upon my Lord and Saviour.

No comments: