Thursday 18 June 2009

Backfire!

A taste of my own medicine...

Just today I had a bit of a feel what it's like when you wanna study at your own pace--and then there's the girl who's sitting next to you--this probably isn't what you're thinking
OK, I have a confession to make. Oftentimes, I come to my lectures having pre-read the lecture notes; to my dissection pracs, having tried memorising the names of the bones, ligaments and muscles; and so on. So here's my confession, I'm uncovering this thing: I actually like the "wonder" aura that I get when people see how I'm not lost in those classes. It's not 100% of the time that I do this, mind you, but still I realise how much I've been dwelling on what other people think of me.
Back to what I was saying: The girl next to you, obviously much better prepared, starts telling you everything that she knows about the subject. You start feeling nervous. Anxious. Stressed. Intimidated.

Hah, what I just realised is that I'm the one who has been doing this to all my friends all along! Those poor enough to be sucked into my presence just when my megalomaniac ego is bursting forth! And sad enough to be bashed when I sometimes deliberately and knowingly criticise, "What have you been doing in class all along?"

I repent from this. I had a taste of my own medicine. Backfire!

Truth is, we gotta esteem our friends better than ourselves. Better be building up than breaking down.

No comments: