Thursday 19 November 2009

Dream of a child (17)

Part III. Oculomotor nerve

Momentum

Back in primary school, we filled in forms with questionnaires like "Hobbies", "Ambition/Occupation", etc. For ambition, I've always put saintis, doktor, guru. Today I'll talk about the scientist part.

One cool thing about the Melbourne MBBS/BMedSc that I'm part of is its 1-year of AMS. You get to do in-depth research on a topic of your choice. Probably a bit like the EE in IB, but you get to write 10-12,000 words instead of 4,000.

I picked a lab-based research project under the unit Advanced Neuroscience, because the brain is so fascinating. Lab work can be a bit tedious and repetitive (as I discovered while learning how to prepare the gel for Western blot this morning), but I think someone's gotta do it. And I'm happy to be that someone. Brilliant inventions like iMacros only come after lots of tedious manual work filling in online forms. Online forms only come after lots of redundant paper form-filling. Paper printing only comes after lots of human hand-scribing. We could go on and on about this, but I hope you get the point. I'm positive that lab analytical techniques will be more sophisticated, automated, and time-saving in the future. In the mean time, let's make do with what we've got.

Have you noticed just how much of human activity (e.g. the inventions mentioned) is brain-dependent? That's why I think it's so awesome. At the same time it's so mysterious, because there are so many uncharted territories in brain research, both physiologically and pathologically. Just yesterday I met someone who's finding out about the role of estrogen in the brain. So how do I select what to look for? Because if I just do it randomly, then 99.9% of the time I'll probably find nothing. This is where Big Papa comes in. I believe that he will specifically tell me what to experiment on, how to do it, e.g. what substances, at what concentrations, to use. Also how much time and energy to spend on the specific experiment. I'll hear a voice behind me saying: "This is the way, walk in it." And when the time comes to present, he'll tell me how to report the findings and relate it to his leadership role.

Hence one of the tag words for me next year is "Discovery". It'll be supernatural.
MBBS/BMedSc=Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery & Bachelor of Medical Science
AMS=Advanced Medical Science | EE=Extended Essay | IB=International Baccalaureate

No comments: